The Macaulay Mentors Program connects current students and recent graduates at Macaulay with mentors to help them build a professional network and gain valuable career advice. Mentors are professionals who are currently working or pursuing graduate studies in a variety of fields.
Activities are up to individual mentor/mentee pairs, but can include resume review and interview preparation, job shadowing, networking opportunities, and general career guidance. The mentoring sessions are informal and arranged directly by the mentor and the mentee.
We are looking for enthusiastic mentors who can work one-on-one with Macaulay students/alums interested in a similar career path.
Mentors are Expected to:
- Have at least three (3) years of professional experience*
- Located in the New York Metro Area*
- Provide ongoing support, feedback, and advice to promote mentee’s professional growth and achievement
- Time commitment will vary, but mentors are expected to engage with their mentee through monthly meetings (i.e. in-person, phone or email) during the mentorship.
- The mentoring sessions are informal and arranged directly by the mentor and the mentee. Please note: Mentees might contact you on a rolling basis.
- Meet with the mentee and identify at least three short- and/or long-term goals for your mentorship relationship (what the mentee hopes to achieve).
- Find at least (1) networking or professional development event you can bring your mentee to.
- Examples: Shadow at your office, networking happy hour, conference, etc.
- Complete end of program assessments
Mentors from all fields are encouraged to apply.
*Alumni Mentors are exempt from this requirement.
Mentees are Expected to:
- Attend at least (1) networking or professional development event with their mentor
- Take initiative to drive the relationship with their mentor and research mentor’s company, bio, outside interests, etc.
- Be open to advice and flexible with the mentor’s schedule and method of communication
- Engage with the mentor but respect their space as they may be busy at work or dealing with other professional matters
- Students: Looking for a mentor? Log in to CareerPath to view and connect with potential mentors. Click “Mentors” on the left side menu and use the filters to search for this mentoring program.
“Sameen pushed me to learn more about the field of medicine through clinical experiences and guided me through a process filled with much introspection and self-discovery.”
– Alex Bonilla ’15 (City College)
“Building networks was instrumental in shaping my perspective of ‘learning’ in the truest sense, it also showed me the important role an individual can play in the lives of others down the road.”
– Sameen Farooq ’10 (Brooklyn College)